What would make Kahoot! more awesome?

Time - on or off

be able to choose if you want to use the length of time feature or not. There are times that I would rather have them think about a question and not rush it.

1,006 votes
Sign in Sign in with Kahoot!
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Zack shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

145 comments

Sign in Sign in with Kahoot!
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nanna Vesterdorf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just about to suggest that! I would love it if we could give them a time limit, but all correct answers given within that time limit scored the same. My students tend to rush an answer instead of pausing to think, and that is sort of counter productive :-)

• Frode Dahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am 100 % convinced that the pupils/students still will think Kahoot! Quiz is fun and motivating - even if the time-points-system is disabled. The quality and experience of Kahoot! Quiz will be enhanced significantly with the suggested on/off-option. Please, let it happen.

• russel.brovold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Full control of this feature would be great. For example, the preliminary National Geographic Bee instructions state the participant has 15 seconds to answer. 15 seconds isn't available on Kahoot. Also, the bee instructions state that a participant can ask for the question to be restated. The judge then pauses the timer, restates the question, and the the participant has the remainder of the 15 seconds to answer. Since the timer on Kahoot can't be paused, one can't use Kahoot to do this bee, which is a bummer, because Kahoot could add a level of structure, focus, and pacing to the bee.

• awiens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree especially for math problems or more complicated science problems. Sometimes the time limit puts too much pressure on students and they don't take the time to answer they are just trying to be the fastest

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that there should be an option to turn the timer off. As a teacher, the time limit may cause stress for kids. I want to use this fun tool to engage kids in their learning, not stress them out.

• Damien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having a choice for turning the timer on or off makes no sense. I like the idea of the points for answering the questions correctly but without that pesky timer

• Lisa Rodriguez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. I want to be able to use Kahoot as a teaching tool as well as a way to assess students. I want to be able to discuss each question and not worry about running out of time.
    Thanks!

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a student teacher in a teaching credential program in California. There really, really ought to be an option to have a scored game that is also untimed. I'm sorry, but otherwise it is just far too constrained and not a good educational tool. I'd like to have both the motivational factor of a competitive quiz while also allowing students to actually _think_ about the question. I am actually quite baffled as to why this isn't even an option, and why the timer can only go up to 2 minutes. Not to mention the character limit is so short for the question I've actually had to cheat and write part of the question on a picture before. It's just a hugely constraining quiz and I would not still use if it I were not under explicit directions to do so from my Master Teacher (I will be making my views clear to her tomorrow regardless).

I will not use this game until there is a way to not time the students. Some students just simply need more time to process!! UNFAIR

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time on or off feature would be fantastic. Also, having students be able to get full amount of points for questions answered correctly, no matter how much time it takes would be nice to have. This would be nice in my math class, some students are just a bit slower at solving the problems, but can still get them right. I don't want to encourage them to rush.

I will not use Kahoot until the timer is an option. It is 100% not fair to the students whom I work with. My 5th graders come to me as low as 1st grade. Please Please Please make the timer an option OR increase time amounts to 2-5 minutes1

• Jill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to not have the time listed to not rush that slower student. It often times stresses kids out.

• louisekingtx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see more time options for the quiz. I don't mind the points system...BUT I teach Algebra 1 and resource math. My students like to compete as much as any others...the pressure of the timer causes them to guess rather than solve the problem.

If I could pause the timer that would be GREAT! Thanks

• Ashley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I do not think you lose the FUN of the competition in KAHOOT. Many of us are teachers, and we would like the CHOICE to have NO time limit on the question for our students in order to not only encourage, but ALLOW students to really think about and find their answer before "answering" in the game.

I have been messing with using this in GROUPS within my classroom since I only have 5 ipads. The time feature has pretty much made this impossible though, because in order for my 3rd graders to work with a group, read and reread the question multiple times, find and/or discuss their answer to finally decide on one, the 120 seconds is just not enough time. Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide a few more options? I would like to see 5 mins and NO TIME. Mostly NO TIME. Then, I can walk the room and "end" the question when I noticed all of my groups have answered.

The sooner you can add this the HAPPIER I think many of us will be! This is afterall, a world of collaborative learning!

• dsawyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that sometimes students just answer quickly hoping to get the extra points. Would be great to eliminate the fastest time but still give points to everyone that got the correct answer.

• svenbrekke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you use kahoot quiz in the classroom you will have pupils that know the correct answer, but are slower than the fastest. These pupils will maybe never see their names on the screen even if they answer correctly because the fastes pupils are ahead due to the time. It would be fine to be able to switch the time off to enable these pupils to participate with the fastest

• AdminKahoot! Support (Kahoot! Support, Kahoot!) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Hilde, thanks for your suggestion..... this is something you can do. When creating a question, there is a dropdown menu with 2 options which are:

- Points question
    - No points question (Choose this!)

There is still a time limit as this is a vital component of the Kahoot! game, however, there is no points system, so there is no competition - and you could set the time limit to a longer length.

Hope that helps!

Feedback and Knowledge Base