What would make Kahoot! more awesome?

Time - on or off

be able to choose if you want to use the length of time feature or not. There are times that I would rather have them think about a question and not rush it.

1,006 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Zack shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

145 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Justin Seiler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be especially helpful for classes like Calculus and Physics because questions take time to get an answer. And it could be ruined with a good luck streak

• Coolcrazycaba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If they gave us people more time,because,some people like to take there time and work out the answer instead,of there being 10 seconds and get under pressure,and get the answer wrong.

• Bill Shillito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Math teacher here, also putting in my support for having the ability to disable time-based scoring of questions and/or disable the timer countdown for questions. I always try to tell my students I would rather them get a correct answer slowly than an incorrect answer slowly, but the current system encourages students to rush/guess. This has always been one of my biggest gripes about Kahoot, as much as I love it, so if you can give both these options it would be excellent.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. The only thing this is useful for is teaching the opposite! See what happens when we rush and just guess and have to feel rushed. We don't do as well or the groups rely on someone who they think is "smart". What about just one point for correct, why the time?

If I can contorl the timing they can answer questions that require more then 120 sec and still use kahoot! Math questions or others that require time to use a formula for instance

Voted! I teach math too, and sometimes they need to think about the answer. Also, if they didn't get points for speed, but points for accuracy only, it would help! For example, if they're solving a multi step equation, and they're significantly behind in the competition, they're more likely to just try to answer quick in the hopes of getting more points, rather than actually sit there and think about it. I would love to see the time turned off as an option too. Lastly, as a special ed teacher, sometimes students need more time, and their IEP's state that they need to be given more time.

• Kathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a math teacher, I cannot play Kahoots with my students because they will just guess. If you ever put in a feature where a teacher could just pause on the question to allow that think time, let me know!

• bryan c Bazilauskas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

has Kahoot really not acted on this? As a math teacher, there is no doubt in my mind that from a pedagogical point of view, value is lost because kids are encouraged to make quick guesses instead of spending time thinking.

the thinking is where the learning comes from.

• Bill Shillito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sam, all they'd need to do is make a correct answer worth some fixed number of points, and an incorrect answer worth 0 points. A student who gets the right answer in 2 minutes is just as right as another who gets the right answer in 10 seconds.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only problem would be that the points system would be hard to calculate. How long would it take to lose a point? And how long would it take to countdown to 0 points? The only way to counter this is to turn off the points system, and this is a key part of making the Kahoot enjoyable for everyone.

As a math teacher, I agree. I would love to have the option to turn the timer off so that my students can think through the problems instead of rushing through each one. Learning math should not have a time limit!

• Nicole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a teacher, having the option to turn off the time limit feature and bonus for quick answers would be especially useful in my math classes.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us the option to turn off the timer. Teachers really need this feature. I'm turning to other online games instead of Kahoot! because of the timer.

• nojacx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE give us the option to switch off the timer and just add points for correct answers.

Or let us decide the delay time between showing the question and showing the alternative answers.

there needs to be a timer off option. I cannot assess true math skills when they are feeling under pressure because of the timer.

• Mr.Deans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please allow the creator the ability to turn off graduated scoring with regard to the timer. I am a math teacher and while the kids enjoy doing Kahoots, they feel under the gun to answer as quickly as possible so as to get a higher score, often sacrificing accuracy.

There are also several aspects of what I teach that cannot be solved in two minutes or less. The ability to turn off the timer entirely would be very helpful.

Feedback and Knowledge Base